...let us count the states where teh stupid is spreading....
- Florida (although we won a battle there, there's still unrest amongst the nuts)
- Texas (again, one battle won, but it's certainly not the war)
- New Mexico: "Academic Freedom" which is defined as teaching anything but the facts of evolution. Of course, academic freedom doesn't extend to creation myths beyond the bible.
- Oklahoma: An "Academic Freedom" bill that would protect students who give answers based on their religious beliefs, and not the facts:
Students may be evaluated based upon their understanding of course materials, but no student, in any public school shall be penalized in any way because the student may subscribe to a particular position on scientific views.At least there are some in Oklahoma who are vehemently opposed -from the Edmond Sun:
On Monday the Oklahoma House of Representatives Common Education Committee took direct aim at the integrity of science education in Oklahoma’s public schools, and thereby threatened the economic prosperity that Oklahoma so desperately needs. Intelligent Design is a false theory. It contains no testable hypotheses; it has proposed none. Intelligent Design is not science, and teachers who propose it to their students as science, and as a legitimate alternative to evolution, are violating the sacred trust they have with society, with their employers, with their students, and with themselves to practice academic responsibility, that all important correlate of academic freedom.
- Delaware: This story is incredible - I can't believe school board members are this backward. Here's a quote:
During the meeting, Doe said, "a guy stood up and said the last one to oppose school prayer was [atheist leader] Madalyn Murray O'Hair and she disappeared never to be seen again." (O'Hair was abducted and murdered). Hearing that, Doe said, "sent chills down my spine. But people laughed, and they hooted and hollered, and applauded this guy" Doe said, adding, "He used to be a school board member."
- Minnesota: Another "academic freedom" bill that's anything but.